Sunday, October 7, 2007

Adult signs of dyslexia

Wondering if you slipped through the net in school? Considering getting assessed? - According to the The International Dyslexia Association you should take notice of these kinds of symptoms:

·       Hiding your reading and writing problems.
·       Being really poor at spelling.
·       Having weak management and organizational skills.
·       Often relying on your memory and verbal skills rather than your reading and writing.
·       Working a job that's well below your intellectual ability.

2 comments:

Lauren1335 said...

SO, where do you go from there? I have found tons of info on dyslexia, but what if you got out of school 10+ years ago, and they never diagnosed you? Who do you go to for assistance? My husband just took a test and didn't do well, and I think if he had more time and was able to read it aloud would have passed with ease. How can we get him assessed so we can get reasonable accommodations made for future job-related exams?

Tracey Wood said...

Oh my. I'm only 4 years late! I'm afraid I've had a MAJOR break from this blog but,still, maybe future readers can benefit from my comment now. -The best place to start for good info is the dyslexia association nearest you. They can tell you the accredited/recognized psychologists (not all of them are acceptable, prices, possible health insurance coverage etc). Because of their large membership info from these sources info should be up to date (ahem, unlike mine has been for a while, oops, sorry again!)